The Law Office of
Jody Marten

Temporary Protected Status
Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals
Children's Citizenship Project
Citizenship for Children
Employment-Disability Law
Sports Law




3360 Tennyson Street, NW
Washington DC 20015-2443
Tel: (202) 537-0496
Fax: (202)
Cell: (202) 258-1643


Arrange a consultation



Attorney Marten will consult with persons who believe they are eligible for citizenship through different ways other than by being born in the United States and having lived here all their lives. The INA grants U.S. citizenship at birth based on (1) birth in the United States, and or certain other places; (2) the citizenship of one or both parents; and (3) a combination of location and parental citizenship. U.S. citizenship is also granted to persons after their birth based on a combination of parental citizenship and later residence and by naturalization. U.S. non citizen national status is granted based on the birth location in certain other places, and the U.S. national of one or both parents.

Naturalization is a process where persons not born in the United States can get United States citizenship. Naturalization is the legal process through which a foreign citizen or national can become a U.S. citizen. In order to naturalize, an applicant must first be qualified to apply for citizenship. Then, he or she must complete an application, attend an interview, and pass an English or civics test. Upon completion of these steps, the applicant takes an oath of loyalty, and becomes a citizen. These legal requirements help the immigration service ensure that only those people who are sincere in their desire to become Americans become naturalized. There are exceptions to the citizenship requirements for someone who has a disability and can show they are incapable of learning English and/or passing the civics test.

Who is eligible?

The U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Service (USCIS) states that applicant for naturalization must be:

  • At least eighteen years old;
  • A lawful permanent resident of the Untied States;
  • Resident and physically present in the United States for at least five years at the time of the application;
  • Of good moral character.

If you meet these requirements, you may apply for naturalization. the government provides a range of publications explains the naturalization process in detail. A GUIDE TO NATURALIZATION, available through the USCIS, maybe a useful starting point for your inquiries.

We suggest you go to the USCIS web site and go to naturalization. You may bring any of your questions to Attorney Marten for a consultation. Some of the more pertinent issues involved any previous residency requirements, and good more character which means detailed information about any criminal activity both in the United States and while traveling outside the United States.

We look forward to discussion your application for naturalization with you.